Wednesday, June 24, 2009

Chocolate Chip Cookies

Shortening is to the baking world what reality tv is to television: a secret shame. But I, for one, no longer want to keep the secret.

I love Survivor, the Amazing Race and So You Think You Can Dance.

And I love shortening too.

Shortening gives flakiness to pastries and lightness to cookies. In fact, I would argue that you can’t make a truly great chocolate chip cookie without it. Now, I know the all-butter, crispy, crumbly, could-be-used-as-a-frisbee-in-a-pinch cookies are all the rage right now (ahem, City Bakery). But I don’t like them. I want a cookie with texture, density, and chewiness. In short, I want shortening. And since it is now trans-fat free, I don't even have to feel guilty about it.

With that said, here is my never fail, could-eat-the-whole-batch-by-myself chocolate chip cookies – shortening included.

Chocolate Chip Cookies
½ c granulated sugar
½ c brown sugar
1/3 c butter, room temperature
1/3 c shortening
1 egg
1 tsp vanilla
1 ½ c flour
1 tsp salt
1 tsp baking soda
¾ c semi-sweet chocolate chips
sea salt

Preheat oven to 350. Cream butter, sugars, and shortening. Add egg and vanilla and mix to combine. In a separate bowl, combine flour, salt and baking soda. Gradually add dry ingredients to sugar mixture, mixing until combined. Add chocolate chips. Place baking sheet and sprinkle with sea salt. Bake 8-10 minutes.

Note: These are especially good if you allow the dough to rest for 24 hours.

1 comment:

  1. I just had a similar conversation with my sister yesterday. I prefer the texture and taste of baked goods with shortening, although I feel guilty every time I use it. I had no idea that shortening was trans-fat free now though, so I guess I can embrace my love of butter flavored Crisco and let go of the guilt!

    ReplyDelete